Friday, March 4, 2011

1944 Postcard From Future Flyboy?

I found this postcard at a flea market or a yard sale a while back.  I don't remember which because I have been sitting on it too long.







Hello Everybody,
Am out of the
hospital on a 3 day
pass.  Have been
over to see the
little ones.  Would
like to come home,
but can't this time.
When I get back to
Base - will attend 
& finish ground school.
Can't fly for a while yet. A letter Follows soon. A.J.

It is postmarked MIDLAND, TEXAS, Aug 28, 1944, and addressed to The Rawlins & Collerains, Box 393, Lake Jackson, Texas.  Unfortunately  the author only signed his initials and I can't be quite positive who this flyboy is for sure, but Google has helped me find a trail of bread crumbs that leads to Rawlins and Collerain families.


Bread crumb no. 1 - The following information is from Descendants of James Mason Rawlins.


316. Addison Clark6 Rawlins (James Alfred5, John Martin4, William Martin3, James A.2, James Mason1) was born 30 July 1878. He married (1) MaryEmmaline Alexander, daughter of Marcus Alexander and Nancy WORLEY. She was born 16 November 1883 in Dallas, TX, and died 01 February 1971 in Altus, Jackson, OK. He married (2) Annie Kinnard 1896 in Rockett, Texas. She died 1951.

Notes for Addison Clark Rawlins:
Lived 51 Vinca Court, Lake Jackson, Texas.



Children of Addison Rawlins and Annie Kinnard are: 
 363i. Addison Clark7 Rawlins.
 364ii. Rawlins. She married W. D. Collerain.

Bread Crumb no. 2 - 
Galveston Daily News, May 26, 1937, page 5


Bread crumb no. 3 -
The Brazosport Facts May 14, 1959, page 11

Bread crumb no. 4 - 
Midland Reporter Telegram, December 8, 1963, page 19
Bread crumb no. 5 - 
Midland Reporter Telegram, May 31, 1964, page 9


Bread crumb no. 6 - 
The Llano News, March 30, 1967, page 7
Bread crumb no. 7 - 
La Marque Times, December 25, 1975, page 17


I am leaning towards that the author may be Addison C. Rawlins II, but not positive. Hopefully there is a Rawlins or Collerain family relative who can solve this mystery and claim this wonderful lost family treasure.


2 comments:

  1. Great detective work Leslie- I hope you can find the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm stumbling across this 10 years after you posted while looking up history for my dad's 80th bday celebration. Ace Rawlins, pictured above, is my dad. He lived with his grandparents in Lake Jackson for a period of time during WWII while his father was away at war. It is likely that the author is my grandfather, AC Rawlins II. But I didn't realize the Collerain cousins were also living in Lake Jackson, nor that my grandfather had to convalesce during the war. So many questions to ask. But Thank YOU for posting! I've never seen these clippings! --Jenn Jensen, Ruston WA 206-853-1992

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...