Wednesday, June 9, 2010

1909 Postcard to Master John T. Carruthers

While I was at the Finders Keepers antique store in Pocatello, Idaho I found this adorable postcard with a picture of a cow on it (I love cows).


Postmarked Oct 27, 1909 from Washington, D.C. and addressed to Master John T. Carruthers, North Fork, Loudoun County, Va.  This writing is a little hard to decipher, but I will do my best to transcribe it.

10/27/09
Hello my dear
little babies . I wish I
could see you both
now. I don't know
whether I will have
a chance to do any
thing with the pic-
tures this or not
as I am feeling
so bad.
Lovingly, Uncle Carl.

From what I have been able to find out about John T. Carruthers is that he was born about 1908 in Virginia and had a twin sister named Helen. I am assuming that uncle Carl (whoever he is) was referring to the two of them when he said 'babies'.  I can't figure out why he was writing to babies though.

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Washington, Washington, District of Columbia; Roll  294; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 91

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Mount Gilead, Loudoun, Virginia; Roll  T625_1893; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 76

Hopefully there is a descendant of John T. Carruthers out there who would enjoy this postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...