Thursday, April 1, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday -- 1900's Richardson's Silk Catalog

Today I want to share another goody from great-grandma's box of stuff. It is a Richardson's Silk catalog for ordering embroidery patterns, threads and such. Unfortunately the cover is missing so I don't have an exact date of publication, but from what I have been able to find through good old Google is that it is from the early 1900's. You can actually look through one of these catalogs here.

Here we have an apron for every occasion. One for making fudge, one for playing hostess, one for when you are in a bungalow (what?), and one for when you are performing domestic science (oh brother). You could pay 50 cents for each of these newest ideas in aprons.



And where would you be without your powder puff? You could pay 15 cents for this design or 60 silk tags or R. M. C. bands. How cool is that?



Then there is this pattern for a hair receiver.




If you are anything like me, you are wondering "what the heck is a hair receiver?" No worries, Mr. Google led me to the answer of this question as well.

The hair receiver was a common accessory for women from Victorian times to the early 1900's. It's purpose was to save hair from the brush and comb. The hair could then be used as stuffing for pin cushions and pillows (eeww).


5 comments:

  1. I love browsing through old catalog pages like these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Leslie. I had no idea what a hair receiver was. Gee, I could really use one of these. I never know what to do with all that hair in my brush! ;)
    I love the garter powder puff. How handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have to get me one of those powder puff cases! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the powder puff case, too. Never saw one to wear on your leg....unusual. I certainly remember powder puffs and powder cases--metal and plastic. The aprons are also interesting. I had no idea that there were so many varieties. Very interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie Ann, I love your blog and would like to present you with the Ancestor Approved Award. I hope you'll stop by www.thesearchforanneandmichael.blogspot.com to pick it up. Cheers! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...