Thursday, July 29, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday -- Robert Price Book



This is a book about my great-great grandfather Robert Price. It was written by my great-uncle Ezra James Poulsen in 1962.

As you can see by the inscription page it was given to me as a Christmas present in 1980 by my grandma and grandpa Smedley.


 I would like to share a letter from pages 35-36 that my gr-great-grandmother Matilda Kelsey wrote to Robert Price before they were married.


21 Alfred Place
Bedford Square
August, 1855
Dear Robert
     It is with much pleasure that I received a letter from you yesterday morning.  I am much obliged to you for the kindness of seeing after my dress.  You are more kind than I deserve.  I feel that I am not worthy of so much kindness and care, and that I am not worthy of you.  Your spirit is much superior to my own; I feel that I am an ungrateful being, and I do not exercise as much patience as I ought.  I only hope I shall be able to overcome all weaknesses and evil passions when I become your wife, and that I shall e er have a meek, humble and gentle spirit in all things.  It is my desire to overcome all things and ever be firm in my day as a saint of God.  I often feel my weaknesses.  My spirit rebels and I know it ought not to do so.  We ought to have meekness and honesty as our constant companions and guide, but how blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth, and he that humbleth himself shall be blessed.  My prayer is, my dear Robert, that we may ever have that spirit of love and forebearance and meekness to every one and my prayer is that we may ever live together in pure love and harmony, that the evil spirit of contention and discord may never enter our dwelling,though it may be ever so humble.  May it be the dwelling of love and peace that the spirit of God may ever dwell there.  May our children partake of the same spirit, that they may grow up strong and valiant in the house of God.  May this be our happy lot, dear Robert, it will be a blesssing worth striving for, and promises much as we strive we shall gain it.  May God grant that we may have firmness and energy to do so, is my prayer (fervent) for Christ's sake Amen.
Matilda Kelsey

Matilda Kelsey and Robert Price Wedding Picture

4 comments:

  1. Oh Leslie! This is indeed a treasure! I would love to read the entire book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure....written first hand knowledge of your ancestors. Amazing to have letters written in 1855.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of history to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great book to have, unfortunately there are not many copies out there. Some time ago I typed the text into a Robert Price wiki and made it available to the public at http://robertprice.pbworks.com/w/page/12872562/FrontPage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...