Friday, July 24, 2009

1915 Tocoma Postcard from Olive to Edward Ahlskog

Last weekend we actually hit three different flea markets. First we went to Ramona in Jacksonville where I found a cute little tea pot for my sister-in-law; she collects them. Second, we went to the Bargain House of Fleas where I found this wonderful postcard. Third, we went to the Pecan Park flea market, also in Jacksonville, where I found the cutest cow salt and pepper shakers; I collect them.

This gal in a booth at the Bargain House of Fleas had a photo album with post cards, greeting cards, and photos. She was only selling them by the piece so I looked through the album until something reached out and grabbed me. This is what grabbed me:






The pretty picture is what caught my attention, but it turns out that Mr. Ahlskog is an interesting fellow.

It took me a little bit to decipher some of the letters, but I finally did it. Here is a transcript of the correspondence:
Mr. Edw. Ahlskog
Rt. 2 Box 91
Tacoma

Tacoma 15-4-15

Dear Brother!
Svea Band is
gone to give a dance at
Wallawalla Saturday night.
The 19 so if you can come
up there and bring me
my letters please.
Any time you feel like
calling me up
my phone number is Main 7989.
Regards from Olive.



Edward was born 5 Jun 1883 in Mustanssari, Finland and died Aug 1966 probably in Port Angeles, Clallam, Washington. He married Regina Swenn Thorsen 1 Dec 1924 in
Clark County, Washington. According to the World War I Draft Registration Edward was the carpenter at the Barbare Brothers Shipyard. The draft card also mentions his sister Olive, but I have not been able to find anything on her.

As far as I can tell, Edward had only one step son.

Apparently Edward was in this Svea band and I found a picture of him.
Here is Svea Band outside building in Tacoma . Edward is the one on the end.



Sources
1. U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1795-1972 , Ancesty.com.
"Name: Edward Ahlskog
Age: 55
Birth Date: 5 Jun 1883
Birth Location: Mustanssari, Finland
Spouse: Regina
Arrival Year: 1903
Issue Date: 4 Oct 1938
State: Washington
Locality, Court: Tacoma, District Court
Title: Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1890-1957
Description: Declarations of intention, 1938-1941, #11001-11200
Series: M1542."

2. 1930 Milton, Pierce, Washington Census, Roll 2510; Page: 6A.
"Name Age
Edward Ahlskog 46 head
Regina Ahlskog 39 wife
Tauno G Thorsen 16 step son."


Maybe there is an Ahlskog family member out there somewhere who would enjoy this family treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...